Friday, June 20, 2008

My Baby's Mother Earth


This post is in thanks to the research of my Wife, Green Peace extraordinaire, Free Cycle Supporter, reducing her carbon footprint, K-lo.

When K told me a couple weeks ago that she wanted to switch Bella to cloth diapers I honestly had visions of stinky diaper pales and me sticking my thumbs with safety pins. Whoever coined that term needs their head examined. There is nothing safe about them. Anyway, I really wasn't all that excited. I just wasn't on the same page as her.

K explained to me how many diapers go into our landfills. I could understand this. If you take Boogie alone at 8 diapers a day times 365 for the next 3 years that's 8760 just produced by princess peealot. Imagine how many babies are in this country alone? They estimate that 27.4 Billion Diapers are used each year. That produces 3.4 million tons of diapers ending up in landfills.

Besides taking care of our Earth Karen really got my attention on how much money we would save. Karen researched that we would spend about $2000 in diapers for Bella if we used disposable. If we switch and invest in Cloth Diapers we'll only spend about $200. So she was making progress on me.

I honestly still had visions of back in the day of cloth diapers. Let me tell you, we got a few delivered this week and they are really cool. Below is a picture of one of the Cadillacs of Diapers. This is from a company called Bum Genius:


They look basically like a disposable but have Velcro straps instead of adhesive ones and they are so much nicer. They keep boogies bum a lot drier which helps protect against rashes and other stuff. If your baby has full figured thighs like ours these diapers are adjustable.

What's great too, and we will be getting one soon, is you can get a spray nozzle attachment for your toilet. So it makes it a lot easier for clean up purposes. You then throw them in a Wet Bag waiting for the laundry.

So Boogie can not only be a lot more comfortable she can help reduce her Carbon Footprint. However, I think she's taking this All Natural thing a bit too far. She's got something against man made materials and I found her enjoying being naked way too much! That's my GIRL!

Have a Great Weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

You make me SOOOO proud, my GO GREEN HUBBY!

Dawn said...

Yay for Karen! That is awesome!

Michelle said...

My sister researched this a bit last year when both her girls were still in diapers, but didn't fully persue it. Now one is for the most part potty trained. I think it's a great idea to be honest. Anything to cut corners by all means.

Tam said...

My friend is using the gDiapers are these the same thing? over at www.momotto.blogspot.com she loves the gdiaper and I saw her little boy with these things and loved them tooo!!!!