Tuesday, June 10, 2008

BOOGIE GIRL

My lovely wife reminded me that this blog was set up for our little boogie girl and not for my other thoughts. (I am so excited to know she is reading this blog and actually noticed I got off course.. yippeee. I have 1 dedicated reader) So for now, I will try to keep the topic strictly on Boogie.



Boogie- a name I put on her since the day she came into our lives. Honestly, if she could talk she would say, "Daddy, quit calling me that!" but until then she has to suffer with being labeled my little boogie.

I also call her boogie because she does this little squirm thing that makes her look like she's dancing. So it's been pretty easy to make the name stick.

Bella is doing sooooooo good. It's amazing each day how much she's developing. She had her third Parents as Teachers session yesterday. It's a program through our school district that has a representative come out to your house and evaluate your child or children to see how they are developing and to offer any help in areas needed. The lady has been really impressed with Bella's progress. Before I left for work yesterday I told her to not be nervous, eat a good breakfast, and relax. She looked up from watching Sesame Street, gave me Raspberries, and went back to watching Big Bird. Alrighty then, I can see how this is going to go!



One of our favorite times together is first thing in the morning. Karen will change her diaper and then throw her in bed with me. We play for about 15 minutes until I have to get up and shower for work. She thinks that is the coolest thing being in a big bed. So we lay there and her little puppy tongue tries to lick my face, my Tshirt, or the sheets. If it goes in her hand it goes in her mouth. I know this sounds weird but I am in love with her little puppy tongue. It is the most adorable thing. She loves to touch everything with it and she looks like a puppy doing it. So I usually whisper secrets in her ear which she loves. She lays there very attentive listening to me. I wouldn't trade these few minutes for anything!

Over the weekend, we traded out all of Bella's Plastic Bottles which contain BPA. Recent reports suggest that the chemical bisphenol A (BPA) in the plastics used to make many types of baby bottles could cause behavioral changes in babies or contribute to early onset of puberty in girls. Further study is needed on the exact effects of BPA in humans, but many parents are switching to BPA-free bottles just to be on the safe side. Baby's R Us is offering to exchange the bottles for you. However, keep in mind if you switch out for glass or BPA Free bottles of a different brand that are more expensive you will have to pay the difference. We found out the hard way. We use Dr. Brown's Bottles and they were out of the glass version. So the girl helping us recommend Born Free Bottles. Honestly, they are huge, look like you would feed a calf with them, and sort of hard to hold. So we took 13 bottles up to the checkout and the girl checking us out says, "That will be $80+ " Karen and I were like, "Say What?". Well, Born Free are $12 a bottle so we had to pay the difference from Dr. Brown. I was about to say forget it but this is where her good salesperson skills came in. She started talking about the features and benefits of the Born Free bottles. She got me so we ended up taking them. Well, Boogie wasn't sold. She hated them so we took them back the next day and got the Even Flo glass bottles which Bella loves and we love too!They were like a fraction of the cost too.

Each day I look at this little girl in amazement how blessed we are to have her in our lives. I think am I doing enough for her, am I doing too much not allowing her to learn independence, are we teaching her things that matter. I know God created her perfectly and I want to train her up to be effective in her calling on earth. That is why I'm going to stop just reading about being a good parent, to stop talking about affecting culture, and do something about it. My wife doesn't even know this but I've been thinking long and hard and I feel that if I want change I need to be a change maker. I'm going to start looking into running for public office. I'll start small and move bigger. I'm tired of the stuff I see and hear and nothing being done. I can't sit back and hope someone else will do it. So, I'm going to see what I can do to serve my community. I'll keep you updated!

Have a Great Tuesday!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I am a dedicated reader too, so you have at least 2! I love the pictures of Bella. She really is a beautiful little girl! I do hope Karen reads your blog often so that she will know about your political plans! I suggest telling her soon! And go for it!