Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Boogie Nights


It's amazing when you're new parents how aware you are of your baby's habits. Sunday morning we got up and Bella was her usual happy self. Karen put her down for a nap before we went to church. She normally will sleep for an hour on a good day. Well, one hour turned into an hour and half, almost two hours. We've learned the old saying, "Don't wake a sleep baby!" We tried to let her sleep as much as she could and we just figured we'd be late for church. Well, we eventually had to wake her up. Karen and I both commented how unusual it was for her sleep that long. We should listen to ourselves. Well, we head off to church and boogie is just very mellow. We are also trying to acclimate her into the nursery at church. Our two times doing this haven't been all that successful. This past Sunday was our second attempt and about 15 minutes into worship Bella's number flashes up on the board. So Karen goes over and she had gotten so upset she threw up. Karen came back with Bella and they sat behind us so not to disturb our row. Next thing I know Karen is gone. I figured Bella needed a bottle or a change. Well, Karen came back and motioned for me to come with her outside in the lobby. She said, "I think Bella is sick!". She was right. I took one look at her eyes and you could tell Pinky Pie was not feeling good. So we got in the car and headed home. From that point on Karen and I did the Boogie Shuffle, the Boogie Bounce, the Boogie hop on one foot, and a bag full of other tricks trying to comfort and rock her to sleep. The girl was just plain miserable. She was obviously exhausted but yet we couldn't lay her in her crib or she would hysterically start crying. Finally we got her to fall asleep after giving her Tylenol and a shot of Maker's Mark. Joking, just wanted to make sure my 1 devoted reader was paying attention. We did give her Tylenol and she fell asleep. Next day, was round 2. Karen called me upset because she couldn't calm her down and she had to take boogie to the doctor. Well, turns out Bella had an ear infection. Good news is we figured out why she was screaming. Her poor little ears hurt and also our local grocery store gives away free antibiotics. So we didn't have to pay for her medication. So we were hopeful that she'd be feeling better in a day. Well, last night I had a meeting and Karen calls me right when it was over. She was frazzled because Bella had not stopped screaming for almost an hour. Nothing she did would sooth her. I could tell we had our work cut out for us when I got home. Sure enough I walk in the door and I encountered a miserable feeling little girl and a wife who was trying to figure out how to hook up an IV of budlight. So I took Bella from her and nothing I was doing was working either. As a parent your stomach churns thinking something worse than an earache is wrong. Finally, I believe out of pure exhaustion she started to calm down and I held her until she fell asleep. I put her in her crib and slowly snuck out of her room praying the entire way she wouldn't start screaming again. My prayers were answered and she stayed sleeping. I found Karen in the living room debating whether to take Valium or use the turkey injector to deliver 500 cc of budlight to her system. The girl was frazzled and I could understand why. Bella doesn't cry like a normal baby. She cries angry. She gets herself so worked up she chokes and gags. It's scary and breaks your heart at the same time.

Good news is she woke this morning in a much better mood. Please pray for us that God answers our prayers and heals her quickly and completely.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pic! Great writer. Glad you're back....I was missing the Bella update...news at 10!;0)

Lesley said...

Awwwwwwwww poor little Bella!! Bless her little heart!! I feel so bad for her. And, poor Mommy and Daddy too!!

I remember only too well what those days - and nights - are like!! Lane gave me a run for my money with his ear problems. It's a horrible feeling to know your child is in pain or is uncomfortable and that there is little you can do about it. Hang in there!!!

Our pediatrician recommended inclining the head of his crib matress. He said if you do that when they sleep, they aren't laying flat and it helps relieve the pressure on their ears - which lessens the pain and discomfort they are feeling.

I will keep her (and you and Karen) in my prayers, that she will have a speedy recovery and that you and Karen feel better soon too :-)

Pssssssttt... if Karen DOES figure out how to hook up that BudLight IV ... can ya let me know how to do it?? LOL

ISABELLA'S PAGE said...

Thanks Les, Boogie was pushing the limits of sanity for Mom an Dad. Particularly Mom. I'll let you know when K patents the BLIVISMS (Budlight IV Self Medicated system). We'll feature it on the back of every baby mag around. All joking aside, thanks for your kind words and prayers.

Dawn said...

Cameron had ear infections from 6 months - 2 years non stop. It is so hard to know what to do, but the antibiotics should clear it up quickly. The only thing I ever figured out to do was sleep sitting up holding him because laying down hurt him so bad. I am glad to hear she is doing better! Lesley's idea seems pretty smart about inclining the bed!

Michelle said...

Awww poor boogie. Hate she had to endure that pain. My sister's oldest daughter dealt with major ear infections for the first year of her life. They finally got tubes and it seemed to help. Back in the spring her Adnoids were removed as well and so far there haven't been any more ear issues. I know you and Karen felt so helpless as to what to do for her. Inclining the bed seems like a great idea. I'm sure my sister did that with Millie. Hope Bella is doing much better as I write this to you.